POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some grass (86kbu) : Some grass (86kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 02:36:10 EDT (-0400)
  Some grass (86kbu)
From: Rune
Date: 30 Mar 2002 21:30:44
Message: <3ca674d4@news.povray.org>
Thanks for all the comments on what grass looked best!

I've tweaked and corrected a lot of things and made the grass a bit more
saturated. The flowers may still look like they're floating, but there's not
much to do about that I'm afraid.

But anyway, almost everybody seemed to like better the image produced by the
new technique I'm working on rather than that produced by my old Fast Grass
Include File. I'm very pleased that the new include file will not only have
the advantage that it works in animations, but also that it looks better in
general.

The catch is that it renders about 4 times slower than the old technique,
but it's still pretty fast. The attached image was rendered at 800x600 AA0.3
in about 8 minutes on my Athlon XP 1700+. As I have never tried using mesh
grass, I don't know how slow that is for comparison. Anyone got any idea how
long an equivalent image with mesh grass would take?

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Feb 16)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/
POV-Ray Ring:  http://webring.povray.co.uk